CS775: Distributed Systems
- Dept. of Computer Science, SNU
- Office : 56-210
- Phone : 880-5583
- FAX : 871-4912
- E-mail : email@example.com
Sape Mullenter (ed.), "Distributed Systems", 2nd Edition, ACM Press, 1993
- [Client/Server programming] (socket, RPC, HORB version)
- [State-Machine Approach]
- [Primary-Backup Approach]
- [Using Group Communication Toolkit] Please look at HORUS.
Papers on Distributed Systems (old)
A. Birrel, R. Levin, R. Needham and M. Schroeder,
"Grapevine: An Exercise in Distributed Computing",
Communications of the ACM, Vol 25, No 4, pp. 260-274, December 1981.
M. Schroeder, A. Birrell and R. Needham,
"Experience with Grapevine: The Growth of a Distributed System",
ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, Vol 2, No 1, pp 3-23, February 1984.
B. Walker, G. Popek, et al,
"The Locus Distributed Operating System",
Proceedings of the 9th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, pp49-70,
James H. Morris et al,
"Andrew: A Distributed Personal Computing Environment",
Communications of the ACM, Vol 29, No 3, pp 104-201, March 1986.
George Champine, Daniel Geer Jr., and William Ruh,
"Project Athena as a Distributed Computer System",
Communications of the ACM, Vol 31, No 3, pp 258-273, March 1988.
- M. Rovier et. al, "Overview of the CHORUS Distributed Operating Systems",Technical Report 90-2.5.1, Chorus Systems, 1991 postscript
Andrew Tanenbaum, et. al.,
"Expecience with the Amoeba Distributed Operating System",
Commumications of the ACM, Vol 33 No 12, pp 47-63, December 1990.
"The V Distributed System",
Commumications of the ACM, Vol 31 No 3, pp 314-333, March 1988.
- P. Dasgupta, R. J. LeBlanc, "The Clouds Distributed Operating System", postscript
Some other papers to read...
- R. Schwarz, F. Mattern, "Detecting Causal Relationships in Distributed Computations: In Search of the Holy Grail", SFB124-15/92, University of Kaiserslauttern, December 1992 postscript
- O. Babaoglu, K. Marzullo, "Consistent Global States of Distributed Systems: Fundamental Concepts and Mechanisms",Technical Report UBLCS-93-1, University of Bologna, Italy, January 1993 postscript
- O. Babaoglu, S. Toueg, "Understanding Non-Blocking Atomic Commitment",Technical Report UBLCS-93-2, University of Bologna, Italy, January 1993 postscript
- M. Reiter, K. Birman, "How to Securely Replicate Services", Technical Report, 92-1287, Cornell University, 1992 postscript
- N. Budhiraja, K. Marzullo, F.B. Schneider, S. Toueg, "Optimal Primary-Backup Protocols",Technical Report 92-1299, August, 1992 postscript
- N. Budhiraja, K. Marzullo, "Tradeoffs in Implementing Primary-Backup Protocols",Technical Report 93-1307, 1993 postscript
- Elmootazbellah N. Elnozahy, David B. Johnson, Y.M. Wang, "A Survey of Rollback-Recovery Protocols in Message-Passing Systems ",Technical Report 96-181, 1996 postscript
- R.van Renesse, K. Birman and S. Maffeis, "Horus: A Flexible Group Communication System", Communications of the ACM 39:4(Apr. 1996), 76-83